1.3.09

David Lynch on Painting

Renowned American film director reflects on his first love
David Lynch photographed at the Imperial Hotel, Vienna Photograph: Karl Schoendorfer/Rex Features
'I love paint [...] I like watercolours. I like acrylic paint … a little bit. I like house paint. I like oil-based paint, and I love oil paint. I love the smell of turpentine and I like that world of oil paint very, very, very much.'

David Lynch
This Sunday's Observer newspaper features an interview with film director David Lynch. The article focuses on Lynch's long-standing passion for painting, and a possible move away from cinema in favour of alternative artistic mediums. The creator of Twin Peaks, Blue Velvet and Eraserhead shares his interest in transcendental meditation, and his characteristic strangeness and enthusiasm is present throughout.

Incidentally, I was surprised to read that he has recently 'married for the fourth time – to a 26-year-old actress named Emily Stofle', who was featured in Lynch's Inland Empire. You can read the Observer feature in full by clicking here.