18.7.09

Brian Eno on the Apollo Moon Landings

Musician, producer and artist speaks about moon landing anniversary
Brian Eno
As part of a retrospective marking the anniversary of the Apollo moon landings, New Scientist magazine has interviewed composer and music producer Brian Eno:
You were 21 when the moon landings took place. What do you recall?

I remember it very, very well. I watched it in the house of my painting tutor at art school, and I remember the very eerie sensation of watching on his little black and white television and then looking up at the moon and being absolutely shocked at the idea of what was happening there at that moment in time. It was one of those strange moments when time closes up on you and something that seems fictional and fantastic suddenly becomes real.

You are credited with inventing ambient music. How do the Apollo moon missions fit in with its development?

Around the time of Apollo I was listening to a lot of film soundtracks. What I liked was that they represented a form of incomplete music, where the missing element was the visual element. I liked making music that somehow allowed the listener to imagine a visual element themselves.